Wheat bag for the cold winter

Just when i thought winter has ended and the sun has been shining brightly, the past few nights proved me wrong. I have already returned my heater to the landlord and without access to anything warmer than two layers of quilt, i decided to make myself a wheat bag. A certain nature of wheat makes it a good retainer of heat and cold, making it a perfect heat pad for sore neck/muscle and cold pad for bruises. I came across so many cute wheat bags online together with their free patterns, but since i don't have a sewing machine, I could only come up with a very simple wheat bag: a knee-high sock (perfectly brand new) filled with organic wheat and english rose pot pourri!

To prevent the wheat from forming a big bulge at one end when i filled up the sock, I divided the sock into 4 compartments and sew a horizontal line across the black stripes (to conceal my poor sewing skills) after each 1/4 of the sock has been filled. Next, put it into the microwave and heat it up for 3 minutes together with a cup water to prevent the wheat from drying up. Voila! A scented wheat bag perfect for the cold nights!!


When I can get my hands on some fancy cloths, I will definitely make more of this!!! One thing to note: never leave it in the microwave oven unsupervised and 4 minutes maximum. Longer than 4 minutes might make the wheat bag too hot for comfort.


1 comments:

Tania said...

And there I was, pfaffing about with froggy wheatbags (with really fiddly toes) and all this time it could have been SOOOOO easy! Looks like the Mr might score one afterall...

Post a Comment